Monday, December 05, 2005

A Great Day

Today was a great day on many levels. It wasn't a great day for me pokerwise as I blew a number of tournies but it was great for Seattle sports and for Carl Olson. I'll get back to that after this interlude:

"While 'Separate Ways' is a superb effort by Journey, and can safely claim the title of greatest music video ever made, it doesn't rock even half as hard as 'Don't Stop Believing'. It shocks me that you would even consider writing such blasphemy. I think today will be my last day reading your blog."

Geez. I wish someone other than Justin had posted that because I could dispute their claim but Justin is the biggest Journey fan in the history of the world and I can't brush him off as a "Don't Stop Believin'" bandwagoner. I guess I just got tired of everyone and their mom hyping that song without knowing any other Journey song at all. And when they start up with "Someday, Love will find you...." my hair stands on end and I can't sit still. My fists start punching the air and I lose control. I guess I've just been desensitized to the rockingness of "Don't stop Believin'" and I fail to see the forest through the trees. I'd still rather hear "Separate Ways" right now but again, that's probably just because I hear "Don't Stop Believin'" all the time these days. I'm sorry for the insult Justin, but did you have to go there with the last sentence? Why not "I want to stab you in the heart with a rusty spoon" or "I hope you get in a car wreck and slowly bleed to death". Both would hurt me far less than losing a reader of the blog. Oh well, maybe he'll never read this apology.

Back to what a great day it was. The Seahawks clinched the NFC West when the Rams lost to the Redskins. That's one goal down, the next is a first-round bye and home field throughout. They need a win tomorrow because Carolina and the Bears are lurking. I think a Bears-Hawks NFC Championship at Seahawks Stadium would be awesome. We need to take care of business and although the Eagles are reeling, it's tough to win on the road when you travel across the country and weird things happen somtimes on Monday Night. Shawn Alexander also kills fools under the primetime lights so look for him to put up 200 yards and 3-4 TDs in a Seahawks rout. I love this team.

In basketball, the Sonics won their third game in a row and now sit at 8-8. They're improving and hopefully are done getting blown out by 40. Also, the Huskies broke their losing streak to the Zags and now are 7-0 on the season. Lorenzo Romar is god, that's really all there is to it. One final b-ball note, check out this sick Shawn Kemp montage. The Reign Man sure was special before he gained 150 lbs and cranked out 30 kids.

Finally, Carl won 103K today at the Bellagio, finishing 3rd in the $5,000 event. He probably would have won more if he didn't take a nasty beat to go out: AJ vs AT all-in preflop with his opponent spiking a Ten on the river to knock Carl out. Carl obviously played really well and I wish I could have been there to cheer him on. If nothing else, I could have shouted to the dealer, "NO TEN!!!!" and maybe had him flip over a different river card. Tourneys are such a pain in the ass because the money jumps so much at the end. Carl won 103K for 3rd but 2nd got 207K and the winner got 375K. Basically, no one is really happy except for the winner. Everyone else feels like they could have done more or won more. I'm really happy for Carl and I can look at the 103K from afar and pat him on the back. However, I know Carl isn't satisfied and really had his sights set on the 375K first prize. That desire is what makes poker players great competitiors and that competitive fire is what will make you better in the long run. Congrats, Carl, YOU DA MAN!!!

I think I'm going to drive out to Vegas tomorrow night after the Monday Night Football game. I'm going to head down to the Qualcomm area and watch the game with one of Tomsie's friends from Oak Harbor, Leon. He used to work at the Times and turned Jack Broom onto our story. I've never really kicked it with him for a long period of time but he's a real chill cat. I want to play in the Bellagio on Tuesday so I'll just have to make the drive late tomorrow night. Pauly's grandmother passed away and he's back in New York for a while for the funeral. It's sad everytime something like this happens but she was sick and it seems like dying was a way to ease her pain. It's not really a tragedy like an 18 year-old passing but it still sucks nonetheless. My deepest sympathys go out to Pauly and I hope everything goes well for him back home and we can hang out when he gets a chance to return to Vegas.

Seriosuly, check out these brilliant lyrics. Can I call it "the second best Journey song ever" without alienating any readers? Here's a quick sample of the brilliance:

Someday love will find you
Break those chains that bind you
One night will remind you
How we touched
And went our separate ways
If he ever hurts you
True love won’t desert you
You know I still love you
Though we touched
And went our separate ways

I've never seen the music video but I'm going to hit up Limewire stat and check that bad boy out. My next entry will probably be from Sin City. Until then, may your cards be live and your pots be monsters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I lied. I couldn't resist coming back to the journal. And that Kemp footage assures that I'll be back for good. He was shitting on people before Vince Carter could dunk on an 8-foot rim. One of the forgotten greats.

In regards to the greatest band ever, I understand your frustrations. The resurgence of Journey on mainstream radio airwaves is indeed both a blessing and a curse. I still get chills every time I hear the first few bars of Don't Stop, but the resulting poser culture is brutal.

It saddens me that few people recognize Journey as the decade-spanning powerhouse rock band that they were/are. Instead they're often placed in the same league as one-hit wonders like Soft Cell and Dexey's Midnight Runners (nothing against those bands, btw), a shameful miscategorization.

These considerations notwithstanding, certain truths about the band will always persist. One of those is that Don't Stop is the #1 song of all time. After that, there is room to maneuver based on personal preference. I can't fault you for placing Separate Ways in the 2 slot. If I were forced to make such a difficult choice, I'd probably go with Open Arms (I'm a sucker for ballads).


To all readers: If you have no idea what I'm talking about, don't worry; help is on the way. Simply place the following three items on your holiday wish lists:

1) Journey's Greatest Hits CD, http://tinyurl.com/9jger

2) Journey's Greatest Hits DVD, http://tinyurl.com/9exux

3) Journey Live in Houston: The Escape Tour, http://tinyurl.com/cesp6


I can personally vouch for the quality of the first two, especially the DVD which contains, among other gems, the Separate Ways video. I don't yet own the third, but I'm hard-pressed to imagine that it will be anything less than 'unbelievably awesome in every conceivable way'.

You can thank me later.

-Justin

Schaefer said...

I love you, Justin, I really do.