Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Florida Bound

Today was a rough day, due to the excessive drinking that went on yesterday for the Seahawks-Raiders preseason game. We drank a lot of beers at Davis' house to prefunk, drank a lot of beers during the game, and drank a lot of Jager-bombs at King Street after the game. It was rather ridiculous. We went home pretty early but I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't go back to bed until 5:30 because of all the Red Bull. Nasty stuff.

I'm always amazed by the audience that my blog has. I was at a bar on Monday Night for trivia and I ran into two guys who I'd drank with maybe 2 or 3 times at a mutual friend's house 3 years ago. I hadn't seen them since and honestly couldn't quite remember their names when I saw them. I'm pretty horrible with names and they were pretty easy: Bob and Ben. Anyway, we were talking a bit then they started dropping all kinds of knowledge on my life. "So, how were the 5 weeks in Vegas?" "How's house shopping?" "How's the 5/10 NL?" I was like how the hell do you guys know all this stuff and of course they found my blog through MySpace and read it semi-regularly. I guess I shouldn't have ever been naive about stuff that I put on the Internet but I always just assumed the only people who read this thing are my super close friends and a few random poker players. Maybe I'm just not very bright. During our conversation I found out that Bob and Ben went to high school with none other than Spirit Rock aka Mahatma aka Prahlad Friedman. He is an alumni of Nathan Hale, class of '96! I had no clue that he was from Seattle. He's one of the top HU and shorthanded NL players in the world and apparently went by "John" Friedman in high school. Anyway, Bob and Ben want to have a drunken home game with him when he comes back for their 10-year reunion. The dude is used to playing six-figure pots so a $20 home game might get a little out of hand.

MySpace is a funny thing. I like it a lot because I've gotten in touch with a ton of old friends that I'd lost track of. However, it's also uber-popular among high-schoolers and that makes it a haven for skeezy weirdos. I was hanging out in Vegas with Pauly and some other people and the topic of MySpace came up. Pauly asked me if I had an account and I said yes and he replied with, "I just lost a lot of respect for you. MySpace is so gay. But will you add me as your friend?" I found it pretty hilarious.

The last two paragraphs might only be interesting to me but, really, I'm the only opinion that matters here.

Poker went reasonably well this week. I played 3,601 hands and won $5,794.79. I was actually up almost $8K before giving some of it back tonight. The games were very good and I think I should play more on Thursday-Saturday nights. Here's my favorite hand of the session:

MP2 ($499.62)
CO ($896.50)
Button ($1326.15)
SB ($1404.82)
BB ($782.02)
UTG ($475.36)
UTG+1 ($1659)
Hero ($1000)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9c, 7c. CO posts a blind of $10. SB posts a blind of $5. UTG posts a blind of $10.
1 fold, Hero raises to $45, 3 folds, SB (poster) raises to $96.03, UTG (poster) calls $91.03, Hero calls $56.03.

Flop: ($313.09) 9h, 6d, 7d (4 players)
SB bets $523.41, UTG calls $374.33 (All-In), Hero calls $898.97 (All-In), SB calls $375.56.

Turn: ($2485.36) 6h (4 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($2485.36) 5c (4 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $2485.36

Results below:
SB has As Ad (two pair, aces and sixes).
UTG has 9s 3s (two pair, nines and sixes).
Hero has 9c 7c (two pair, nines and sevens).
Outcome: SB wins $2485.36.

Expert play, by everyone. Seriously, people were trying really hard to give away their money tonght and I just couldn't get it. I got stacked 2 other times, one on a race where I had a big draw and one where I got half my stack in with AA vs KJ on a Kxx flop and the rest in on a J turn. Wah wah wah. The worst part is that now I have to drive all the way back to Seattle, since I'm obviously in Canada.

I'm probably not going to be playing any poker next week because I'll be on vacation in Florida. Renee and I fly to Tampa tomorrow morning to see the Mariners play the Devil Rays. It should be fun to see Delmon Young and BJ Upton and the rest of the D-Rays prospects. Renee is uber-stoked for this vacation since she works six days a week and never goes anywhere. I'm excited but I was just getting used to being home. Seattle has been beautiful and I've had a great time over the past 10 days. I'm probably going to buy a house when I come home from vacation and that will definitely be exciting. I'll try to take pictures during this trip and get them uploaded for your enjoyment.

The Huskies have their first game tomorrow and hopefuly we can start 1-0 against San Jose State. I bought season tickets this year and I might miss our only victory of the season. I'm actually reasonably optimistic about this year and I have a $100 bet with my friend Mike, taking the over on 3.5 wins. I'm not sure what the real line is but 3.5 seems about right. Anyway, Go Dawgs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Schaefer,

Where are you? Has my departure from the 1k and 2k games made you realize that you're now a winning player in those games? Any plans for EPT events? I can probably do Baden since it's on a long weekend. Any interest?

Law school is much different than playing poker, as one might imagine.

Justin