Thursday, January 18, 2007

Goooooooo Gobbo

My friend Jimmy "Gobboboy" Fricke made the final table of the Aussie Millions. There are 7 left and the winner will take home 1.5 million dollars(Australian). Gobbo has the chip lead and looks like he could win it. Gus Hansen is second in chips, Andrew Black is 3rd and Kristi Gazes is somewhere between 4 and 7. Gobbo is a really nice kid and it would be awesome if he won this puppy. He has run pretty hot at the right times but you always need a lot of luck if you're going to beat these big fields. Anyway, play starts in an hour and I'll be downstairs rooting him on. I think the best place to check for updates is PokerNews.

Carl, Nordberg and I went to the Australian Open yesterday and had a blast. We watched Nalbandian, Grosjean and Haas advance and although I promised to stop prop betting, I couldn't help myself. I lost $400 on the Grosjean match but the 5th set was one of the coolest experiences of my life. My horse was this diminutive German guy who made loud grunts even when hitting a slice but he hung in there and almost pulled out the victory. Nordberg felt bad and basically gave money away during the Haas match and I won all my money back, including the Hewitt debacle from the day before. I am now up $100 from tennis prop betting and this time I really am going to quit. Seriously.

It's incredibly cool staying at the same hotel as the tennis players. Andy Roddick was in the poker room a few days before the Open started and I've seen Maria Sharapova and Martina Hingis in the lobby multiple times. Sharapova is really tall and really beautiful and I think I have a bit of a crush on her.

Tonight is the Aussie Millions Players Party and everyone says that it's a lot of fun. Tomorrow I fly up to Brisbane with Pauly and John Caldwell and say goodbye to this beautiful city. I had a great time and I'm going to try really hard to come back next year. The tournament was great and the venue was beyond superlatives. It helps that I'm up about $A4,000 in 8 hours of $5/10 action but I think I'd be stoked even if I was stuck. Tomorrow I get to leave the crazy poker world and enjoy my true addiction: travel. I hope I can find wireless along the way to post updates but if not, I hope you're all loving life as much as I am. Peace.

No comments: