Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Main Event

Tomorrow is my Day 1 of the $10K Main Event. I'm getting pretty excited and it would be really nice to catch some cards and run good. I haven't blogged in a while because poker has been pretty brutal over the past few weeks and every time I started to write a post it would come out extremely negative and I'd scrap it. Who needs negativity? Tomorrow, I start with a clean slate and I think it could be a lot of fun. I feel really calm and confident. One time, poker gods, one time.

Here is the Shaniac post about the poker scene and why it sucks. I'm really lucky that I have a great group of friends within the poker community who also have a lot of interests outside of poker. Together we can escape the weird world of poker for games of beer pong, pool and darts. I can't wait to get back to Seattle and start the next chapter of my life: heading back to school and trying to figure out another source of easy money. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Cliff is in town for a few days and, like always, it's really great to see him. He's moving to Germany in 2 weeks and will be stationed there for 3 years. I'm going to try to visit him in mid-December when it's cold as hell and he can't make me go running. He's driving back to Seattle on Sunday morning and I kinda feel like going with him if I get knocked out of the tournament tomorrow. Since they knock out 2/3 of the field on each day, I think each individual might be a dog to make it past Day 1. I guess if you're twice as god as the average player then you're a favorite to be in but it's still kind of a toss-up. Whatever, no negativity. I'm going to be playing poker for two more weeks and once I win, my life will become just like Entourage but waaaay cooler. Vinny Chase ain't got nothin' on me.

Bedtime. Everyone pray to whomever you pray to for me to run good. I'll pay you back once I'm living the Entourage lifestyle.

8 comments:

Jimmy said...

Good luck homey...good job getting by the first round.
-Dang

P.S. Did you get a chance to play with Ron Jeremy...not really "play" with him in that aspect...that's just gay...you know what I mean

Jimmy said...

Found this on Pauly's Tao of Poker blog:

"1:45pm... Photos coming. I was on the floor for the past hour snapping pics. I found Shannon Elizabeth and Ron Jeremy. Brandon Shaefer is also playing today."

You were mentioned almost in the same sentence as Shannon Elizabeth and Ron Jeremy...you are a god.

MHG said...

Can't wait to hear the recap! Following the action on Pauly's site too.

Do I even need to ask who the house beer-pong master is??

Anonymous said...

Beat the oppo like they were sports journalists. Give 'em some of that muley cow concentration; they won't know what hit 'em. Then get on back here with your boots on, B.

Anonymous said...

Play your game B, they can't touch you.
(Unless you want them to.)
Silky

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be your Johnny Drama.

-Harlow

Scott said...

Hey Brandon,
Just thought I’d remind you of a drunken promise from a few years back that when you made it big, you’d take me bumming around the world . . . good luck, buddy!

Jaxia said...

Bah! Humbug!
I was rootin for ya :)