Monday, October 03, 2005

Kyoto

I'm just going to concede defeat in my efforts to blog more wile on the road. I guess it's good that I find it so difficult to make time because that means that I'm out doing better things.

Kyoto is a fascinating city. It was the capital of Japan before Tokyo and the word 'Kyoto' actually translates as capital. There's a lot of really interesting history here with over 2,000 temples. We7ve been busy every day, checking out temple after temple. Ken has another Buddhist Monk friend here named Sakata. We're really lucky to have him as a guide because he takes us to the lesser known temples that most tournist don't get to see, as well as the major guidebook hotspots. I'd be utterly lost without Kenny, the best Japanese tour guide in the world.

Kyoto is also a pretty young city. There's a real fresh energy around and the nightlife is great. There's a big river that runs through the middle of the city and a ton of people sit on the banks and drink every night. In a way it reminds me of Barcelona and Istanbul, rich with history and culture yet vibrant and youthful.

We hung out with Laura for the past two days and it was great to see her. She's meen teaching English in Japan for a year now and she's contracted for another full year. She really likes it here and might even sign up for more than two years. I really am enjoying Japan but I don't think I could live here for that long. There are a lot of Japanese customs that I really like but there are a few that I don't really understand and irritate me a little bit. The people here are all really nice but sometimes I get the vibe that it's a little contrived and forced because of the culture.

All in all, Japan has realy wowed me with it's efficieny, cleanliness and cheerful attitudes. Every train is on time, the streetrs are spotless and everyone, everywhere, greets you with a Konichiwa and an Arigato Gozaimasu. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to visit and I'd like to come back again if I ever get around to learning the language.

We're off to Tokyo in a few days. I probably won't blog until then. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

No comments: