Friday, April 05, 2013

Team RWB

Today James woke up with a giant hangover and then got a phone call from Bravo Company telling him that there was a guy looking to trade a M-Model Blackhawk for his Kiowa. He went in right away and managed to pull off the transaction so it looks like he'll be a Blackhawk guy with me after all! Last night's drowning of his sorrows proved to be unnecessary but we have a lot of great memories from the night regardless.

I recently joined this organization called Team RWB. The purpose is to help veterans with PTSD,  survivor's guilt or any other hidden injuries of war reintegrate themselves into society through fitness. Team RWB does anything from 5k runs to Ironman Triathalons and each major Army post has a chapter. The Fort Rucker chapter is just starting up and I was lucky enough to know the guy who started it. He told me that Rucker doesn't really have many troubled vets...the veterans here all teach flight school and love their lives...but it can be a place to get younger soldiers(funny that I count as young) involved in the program and then they can bring it to whatever duty stations they end up going to after Rucker. So I'll take the concept to Fort Cambell in a few months and hopefully reach out to Veterans Affairs there and help some people out. Anyway, here's a video that will explain the team better:


I just wanted to bring it up because signing up is free and if you're in the military they send you a free t-shirt which came in the mail today. Check it out!


I also wanted to include my pull-up bar in the picture. I did 20 today in sets of 7-6-4-3. I know I'm pathetic but I'm trying. 

I moved out of Brian's house today and now I'm fully moved into James, Marina and Dominic's place. I really like them and I'm excited to help James study for tests that I've already taken. He's a PT stud and I already feel more motivated to do physical activity. We did pushups before dinner and I told him to do 60. He was only able to do 50 so I knocked out 70 to make up for it.  I'm better at pushups than he is but he's faster than me so hopefully I get faster chasing him on our runs. I did 3 other sets of 60 at random times for 250 for the day. I don't know how many I'll get done tomorrow but I'm going to try for the ol' 60-breakfast-60-shower-60 trick before hitting the road.

I ran 4 miles today and the leg felt the best it has since the injury. My supporting muscles are sorer than usual but I have to think the hamstring will get stronger over time. One friend recommended walking backwards on an inclined treadmill to help build strength so I might try that on Sunday. Tomorrow I'm heading up to Atlanta to watch some baseball and drink some beer. God bless America.

Pushups: Today-250 YTD-18100
Pullups: Today-20 YTD-153
Running: Today-4mi YTD-229.15mi

Fri, 01Feb - 204.3
Fri, 01Mar - 203.4
Mon, 01Apr - 203.6
Fri, 05Apr - 203.0

No comments: