Monday, April 01, 2013

3-month mark

I'm pretty pleased with the way the first 3 months have gone. I'm in a lot better shape than I was on January 1st and I obviously felt good enough to book 2 marathons in October. The hamstring pull has me down a bit but I'm confident that it'll just be a minor setback.

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles on it but I did 2 miles then stopped and stretched and then 2 more miles. My style of running isn't real hamstring intensive so it doesn't reallly hurt until I try to run hard and then I feel it tighten up. I ran 4 today without stopping and it felt real tight for a while, loosened up in the middle, then felt tight again toward the end when I tried to sprint it out. I'm trying to baby it a bit for obvious reasons but hopefully I'll be back to normal within a few weeks. I'm definitely afraid of the track now and I'll probably just do intervals during my normal runs from now on. Blah.

One thing that sucked is I talked to two people who have run multiple marathons and they both said, "the way you described that sounds like a textbook hamstring tear!!" Here's hoping they're wrong.

I did 300 pushups yesterday to push over 17k in 3 months. I'm pretty proud of that number because this challenge really feels like a grind at times. I'm moving in with a guy who just maxed his PT test and is just as competitive as I am so hopefully I'll have someone to put the fun back in. I only did 120 today because my shoulders hurt but at least it's something. I don't know how Dookie does it with his kids and remodeling that he does. His feat is probably more impressive since it's my job to run and do pushups.

I'm pretty thankful that April 1st is here because it gives me an artificial date to start eating healthier. I think I'm going to make a pact and eat zero processed sugar this month. I can drink beer once a week but sugar has to be from fruit or else I can't eat it. Boom, sugar free April is born. I like it already.

Pushups: Today-420 YTD-17125
Pullups: Today-0 YTD-120
Running: Today-8mi YTD-225.15mi

Fri, 01Feb - 204.3
Fri, 01Mar - 203.4
Mon, 01 Apr - 203.6

No comments: